
To be honest this Thanksgiving started out as a bust. I was feeling really down about not having any family around. We had planned to have some friends come over in the evening to share desserts, but it just wasn't going to be the same. And then I kept thinking about all of you who were having fabulous get togethers and how great it would all look on your blogs... and that made me even more depressed!
Luckily, I have a wonderful friend who always seems to know how to make me feel better. Kristen called during the parade and said she and Chad really wanted us to come over for dinner. She was so sweet to invite us last min. The funny thing was when I first made plans for our family to just go out for dinner- I totally thought I would like it- but as the day came closer all those "family togetherness" commercials got to me. and I started to feel like we were missing out. Who's family is like that anyway? (Don't answer that)! - And Mom I don't need an "I told you to come to Utah."
Anyway- We went to the Withers and man can she cook! She had gone ALL out even though it was just going to be her family. She did let me bring a salad, but everything she made was fabulous! I'm not kidding it was the best Thanksgiving meal ever. And being with them really helped me snap out of my "poor me" attitude and start enjoying the Holiday. We did still have friends over in the evening to taste pies we had made- Um.... yeah- I MADE a trip to Costco for mine! :) And it was a lot of fun.
(It's funny- this has been kind of hard for me to write- I usually like to post the HAPPY things - La La everything is always perfect over here in Stepford- (smile), but I guess it's okay to admit that I'm not super happy all the time). 


So what do you do when your depressed? I shop- Perfect timing huh!
Have you ever heard of BLACK FRIDAY? I had no idea what it was till last week. I heard some friends talk about it and was amazed I had gone this long with never hearing "The Day after Thanksgiving Sales", called Black Friday. There are websites dedicated finding the best deals for those crazy people who wake up before dawn and wait in outrageous lines just to get discounts on their Holiday shopping. Well, This year- I was one of those crazies! I've wanted new down comforter, but couldn't justify the $$$ so I woke up at 4:45 to brave the 18 degree morning and the 1 hour & 30 min. line. Was it worth it? Yeah- I think so. They had lots of other good sales too and I'm almost done shopping. We really aren't doing much this year. Our main focus is finishing the basement enough that we can use it as a playroom. That's what Greg did all day. He torn out the old stairs and is attempting to build new ones- they were pretty bad. Has Greg ever built stairs before you ask?- NO, but that doesn't stop him from trying. I guess we both went a little crazy this year. But we aren't the only ones- When we were out last night I saw people camped out in front of Best Buy. It was 4 in the afternoon! That might seem okay in AZ, but here it SNOWED on Wed. Our high has been in the twenties- Not the time to go camping! What is with us?
Have there been any recalls on Turkey we didn't know about?
Friday, November 23, 2007
A Perfect Holiday & Black Friday
Posted by Melissa at November 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














15 comments:
I really like the wallpaper choice for this -- very cool.
And yes -- I am totally laughing about your mild depression "not everything is always as perfect as it looks on a blog" theme. Wink wink. If I can come out for a few days in December I will. Did someone say Jack Stack???
Oh my gosh, so funny. Glenn and I were just talking about how "wonderful and la la la" blog life is... because no one writes about the down times or the "unfun" times. I have been concocting some blogs about less than perfect stuff... but you beat me to it. I love that you got real and shared it. GREAT... absolutely. Funny, a friend and I here were going to do dinner and then we talked about instead just getting together for pies... I guess we were on the same page.
LOVE YOU!
Oh, and I have never heard of "black friday" either. Strange. I have never done the early shopping thing... not worth it to me. Maybe if I went with you, it would be fun just to say I've done it once. I MISS Target... nothing really the same here. I miss those cheap bargains.
DARLING BLOG... and DARLING family photo... who took these... the family one is AMAZING... I am so jealous!!!!! Seriously, they are good...love what you are wearing and everything.
I had never heard it called "black friday" either until this year, but I was at Target at 6:45am and it was crazy, I just got my stuff and walked around for 45 min and all the people were gone. It was fun, and I sure cheer up when I get to shop too. :) That's why we're poor. haha Oh, you need to email me your address for Christmas cards!
By the way... I LOVE your family picture!
I'm so glad that you guys came over to enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday and feast! We always love your company and enjoyed having you guys as over as well. Hope all is well and I will call you later this week.
First of all, I am obsessed with your family picture! Also, don't feel bad about yourselves because WE went out for Thanksgiving. Here is our address... 3 Soldiers Field Park, 3A, Boston, MA 02163
...random comment: tell Whitney and Jessika they are "whack" (a la Zoolander) because they have given me no love with the emails I sent.
Melissa I am so glad that your Thanksgiving day turned out good. I know how hard it is to be away from family but that's when you have to find friends who become like family and it sounds like you have.
I didn't know about black Friday either until I moved out here, crazy that we went so many years without knowing.
PS I LOVE your family picture, it is SO cute!!!
I love your new pictures! Sooo cute.Your boys are getting big. Iam glad you had a great turkey day. And about black friday love it. My family goes every year. This year I ran into Briene at Toyrus. It was fun to see her. Are you coming to Arizona for Christmas?
I'm so glad you were able to get the family picture the right size!! You all look and ARE darling-- and in my defense, I didn't even think an "I told you so'- I just wish we all lived closer so it wouldn't be an issue-- But once again I am so glad you have great friends there--
I've never heard it called Black Friday until this year-- but I did know the day after Thanksgiving was the biggest shopping day of the year and each year it seems more temptation is put out there to get people waiting in long cold lines-- I'm glad at least you got so much done!
Your family pictures are great. I hope you don't think I'm copying you, I promise I'm not but...I bought that same sweater for Trey for pictures and John and I are wearing black shirts. TOo funny but It looks great! :)
Melissa ~ I am sure that it is sooo hard being away from your family, especially around the holidays. I am so happy for you that you have great friends where you are that love you just as a family would! Way to go, Greg, for working so hard on your house! I absolutely LOVE your new layout. And your family picture if "picture perfect" - we are having ours done soon, too - cross your fingers that we can get the crazy kids to sit still for a few pics! haha.
Glad your Turkey Day turned out to be better than expected! It's kind of a weird and hard thing to realize your grown up and have to make your own holiday memories and traditions with your own little kids and family! But so much fun too! Like everyone else has said...your family pic is beautiful. And I love that you have the chipmunk song on your playlist! :)
I LOVE YOUR FAMILY PICTURES!!! Did Kirsten take them???? They look awesome! I didn't make it to the "Black Friday sales", while in Dallas, I just couldn't get my rear up that early. :P TTY SOON!
Melissa-
Its so good to hear from you! Your blog is adorable and your family is even cuter! I love that we can all keep in contact through blogging.
Post a Comment