Tuesday, May 13, 2008

5/9/2008 "David Cook Day" in KC

**Fair Warning- I can already tell this will be a long post. If you are not a fan of David Cook (you must not really be my friend. J/K... kind of) you may want to skip it entirely. Charles- I'm talking to you. This was an AWESOME day and I think I forgot for a few moments that I am a "semi-grown" woman, wife and mother of two. I acted very silly, very star struck and much more like a 12 year old than 26 yr old. I'm a little embarrassed about that, but just a little. Since then I have thought of a million ways I could have handled it better, much more cool & collected- but I'm getting a head of myself. Anyway -If you're up for it come with me to relive the joy that was David Cook day:


Okay- so here's how it all went down. As you saw in my previous post. I'm a fan, have been from the beginning. I mentioned that his hometown is about 20 mins from where I live. After last weeks results show it was known that the top three remaining contestants would get to travel to their hometowns to visit fans and do a little PR.
Of corse the local news was all over it. They announced that he would have a full day with lots of public events. They had given away 10,000 tickets to a concert being held at his high school. Any they were all gone. Another option was that morning at around 11:30 he would do a little concert in downtown Kansas City at this great new venue that just opened up. That's the one I went to. I emailed some friends to see who could come with me, (remember this is like a day's notice and in the middle of the day). Most of my friends who wanted to come couldn't because of prior obligations. I was lucky that Fridays are the only day we don't have a set schedule. Plus I had just watched my friend's son for a few hours so I called her on the off chance that she might be able to return the favor and take my boys for the morning. She was happy to and that meant I could go kid free! That in itself was a treat. Two other friends were planning to go and we were SO excited!!!



The morning came and my friends couldn't go anymore. One friend thought that is was at 11 at night, silly girl and the other's little girl woke up sick. Although I was bummed about them not coming, I still really wanted to go. I know it's seems a little more crazy and obsessive to go alone, there is definitely strength in numbers, But I knew I would regret it if I didn't go. So I did.
I knew my only chance to really see him was to go early. I got there about 2 hours before it was to start. There was already a pretty good crowd forming( enough to make me feel better about going so early because I wasn't the only crazy one, but not too many that I had missed my chance). I was able to be right up front touching the stage! Right by me was a cute young Mom with her two teenage daughters. We became friends and had a great time visiting until the show started. One of her girls is about to start beauty school. I thought that was a fun coincidence. Also I ran into an old friend ( who knew I had those out here) who I haddn't seen since Tate was a newborn. She hung out with us and it was so fun talking with these girls. I was SO glad I didn't let the idea of being alone stop me from going.



Okay so here's my first giddy fan moment. We were chatting and waiting. It was about an hour before the show was to start. We knew David (We're on a first name basis now) had a full day of appearances and we didn't expect him to even be there yet. Right in front of us, the back part of the stage, had two big black doors. Camera men and the tech crew had been coming in and out just setting everything up. The door opened and to my surprise was a brand spankn' new matta-ress! (J/K- That was for all you girl's campers, Kyle)
I just feel so silly all intense to my David Cook story..... Anyway He was standing behind the door! I was surprised to see him.
I said- "Oh My gosh- there he is!" And I waved. He totally saw me (see this is where I feel like I'm 16 writing in my "guy diary"- yes I had one and this definitely would be in it). I can't say that he really waved back because he didn't use his hands, but he did that thing you do with your forehead and your eyebrows like to say, "Hey, What's up?" You just did it didn't you. Anyway-It was awesome. I know he saw me. For a moment in time David Cook and I said Hi... (ahh)... and then the door shut and we didn't see him again until the performance.
I'm sorry I'm such a dork. I hope you all know I really love Greg.

Here are some video clips from the event. And just so you know that is NOT me yelling in the background. I knew better, I was planning to put this on the blog, so I kept all my silly comments to myself!
We were SO BUMMED that he didn't use the mic that was right in front of us! He spoke on our side at first, but they had everything set up sound wise for the one at the other end of the stage. ;(
(Thanking his brother)

He sounded every bit as good in person as he dose on the show. It was really cool being that close!
(Singing Living on a Prayer- the song he auditioned with)

I was so impressed with what a humble nice guy he is.
(talking)

I was also so impressed by the whole American Idol crew. They're the group you see on the stage with him. They all seemed like such nice people. They were really friendly with the crowd and the camera guys would show some of the audience the pictures they took of them. I was happy to see that.



So after he sang "Always be my Baby" it was over and they had him walking through the crowd on his way to the street. It was a mad house! He started again at the opposite side from where we were and I really wanted to get a picture with him. Again, the silly 12 year old coming out. I tried to get close and did get pretty close to him, but my camera wasn't focusing. I think because of ALL the other people crowding around and pushing. I felt bad for the guy. Everyone was yelling his name, I'm sure it was crazy for him. I got a decent picture of him, but not with him. I went back to my new friends and we exchanged emails and said good-bye. I was sure at this point he had left already. But as I walked away I saw the giant microphone that had been with his crew still out in the road. I debated for a minuet.... How crazy am I? Do I try one more time, Or do I act like a normal person and just go on home? What do you think?

I tried one more time. This time the crowd was barley moving. I couldn't get to where he was. (This is probably the point where my wallet was stolen out of my purse, which was on my arm.) There were so many people pushing and bumping I didn't even notice till like 20 mins later. Losing my wallet has sucked! And it almost ruined the whole day, until I got home to see the video & pictures and decided I'd still do it again. But I left out the best part.
So the crowd wasn't moving. I couldn't get to where he was and I was just about to leave when I noticed I was standing next to a limo. His limo? I thought I'd wait and see. Sure enough the parade of camera men, photographers and yes, David came right in front of me! This is the part I have re-lived a hundred times.
I could have been so much cooler. So much smarter, but I was so star struck, shocked that he was right there! I was a total dork. I should have asked him to take a picture with me, but I was so worried that he wouldn't hear me over the crowd and that he would just get into the limo and I would have nothing. So somehow I snapped this "stalker" shot right in his face. No- there is No editing, no zooming- I wish I could say there was, it would sound a lot better than this too-close crazy fan shot!



I did manage to gain a little composer and say, "Hey David- You're doing a great job- High Five!"...... HIGH FIVE? Are you kidding me? I finally met this awesome & totally cute rock star and I'm all... High five! I am a retard! I pray they didn't get that on film!

He did return the high five, and say "Thanks"- so at least I wasn't left hanging. And that was it. I was the last person he talked with before he got in the limo and left. ( I am so dramatic to say it that way). I laughed and said I'm sorry as I walked away from the limo. It could have been worse, someone right before me asked him to sign their dog!

I was totally on a high, I went to grab my phone and that's when I noticed my wallet was gone. But as I said before, It was an AWESOME day! Almost worth losing it. "It" being both my wallet and "my cool". I had so much fun and I am excited to see what the future holds for this amazingly talented guy that gave me a day I'll never forget!

35 comments:

Kyle said...

Melissa...I can't believe you went by yourself..good for you! I am happy that David Cook was able to meet his biggest fan..and that you were able to meet him too! Sounds like fun!

Jessica said...

You totally crack me up! I can't believe you took that picture right in his face--that is so funny! That is awesome that you got to meet him, though. What a fun experience for you!

dustin and amy said...

I'm Tamra's sister Amy, I knew Greg from Yuma also. He hung out with my brother TJ. I am such a David Cook fan, right from the very begining! I can't believe you were able to meet him, good for you! What a great experience, I would have been right there with you if I didn't live a million miles away. Sorry to hear about your wallet, but what's a wallet when you have memories to last a lifetime?

Angela said...

Wow Melissa. You are so lucky! How do you get to meet all the cool people - first Glinda, now David Cook! :) I'm sure you'll somehow get to the Twilight premier or something. LOL! I'm glad you had a good time, with or without your "cool".

Ben said...

AHHH!!! That is great! I would of TOTALLY gone alone and think it is so awesome that you did!! I LOVE DAVID COOK!

Anonymous said...

You are so funny! You had me rolling! What a fun day! I would have definitely gone with you, if we still lived there! The picture in his face is the best! But what memories! I'll look for you tonight when they play back his day on American Idol! :)

The Hall Family said...

Hi Melissa...check out my new blog! clintandemilyhall.blogspot.com
Love ya!

Glenn Ostlund said...

That is so cool. Good for you getting out there and doing that -- see, you just need the right motivation :)

I hope he plays "living on a prayer" in the finals -- that's a good one for him.

Mauzy Fam said...

You are hilarious!! I love that this is your longest post ever! I laughed out loud when you were telling about the picture you took of his face! I'm a big David Cook fan too. I wish I lived close and could have gone with you. SO FUN!

Jossie said...

Hi Melissa! Melissa Bell told me to look at your blog because I am also a huge David Cook fan! I would've done the same thing and gone by myself! I got to meet the Backstreet Boys once (my all time favorite celebs!) and I totally lost my cool there as well :-) Anyway, I'm excited for you that you got to see him perform live and high five him! Yea!

The Hall Family said...

Melissa you are awesome. I love that you went, even by yourself. I envy you!!!

dustin and amy said...

Okay, so I had to comment back about "first time ever I saw your face"... I LOVED IT!!! I also LOVED... "don't wanna miss a thing"! I haven't watched tonight yet but I can't wait. Gotta go watch!!!

Brad, Briene and Brayden said...

You crack me up. I am glad you had so much fun! I am sure you are excited he made it to the final two. Looks like Greg did a great job for mothers day. Yay!

Jossie said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog :-) Especially about my hair :-) Are you so pumped that he's in the finale! Yea! I'm glad we get to watch him one more week. BTW, I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with all of the Backstreet Boys....just AJ. What can I say, I have a thing for bad boys :-) David Cook kind of fits that bill, right? A little bad boyish with the hair, rocker style, etc. I'm still super jealous!

Mandy said...

WHOAAA BABYYYY!! I LOVE his voice!

Anonymous said...

What a great way to capture the memories of a fantastic day! We did act like little 12 year olds, didn't we? How embarrassing!!! It was great to meet you. I love making new friends. BTW, Kelcie and I looked for you and your boys in the new play area at Oak Park earlier this week. : )
I'll try to send you a few more David Cook pics when I have time to catch my breath.
SO sorry you didn't find your wallet. What a pain. (maybe it was that "personal space hogging" old lady.
; )

Melissa B said...

I see that you and Jossie are now best friends! Ha ha, I knew you two wouldn't be able to help yourselves when it comes to talking about David Cook! Anyway, I love that you went by yourself. Die hard fan! I am also not surprised that you became fast friends with everyone around you. Ahh, I miss you! When are you coming to Vegas next?

Melissa B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Into the Wood's said...

I finally got a chance to look at this-- How FUN!! I almost feel like I was there with you since you called saying "I am touching the stage!" And I am totally laughing because yes, I was doing the eyebrow raise thing when you described him doing it-- You're Funny!! Love you

Anonymous said...

Cassie and I are huge Idol fans so we thought this was hilarious! And you got to touch him, whether it was a high five or not. When he's rich and famous after winning Idol you'll remember that!

Jamie Levi

M + L said...

You are so lucky!! I think David Cook is pretty good looking and I'm a little torn between the 2 David's in the finals now! I LIKE THEM BOTH! Whoever wins will definitely deserve it. I wonder if he remembered seeing you before the concert started and that's why he gave you a high five?! Maybe! Too bad your wallet got stolen, but I'm sure it was totally worth it!! I'm so glad you went, even though your friends couldn't the last minute. That's something I would do!! Way cool story!

Alaina said...

Ahahaha thanks for the good laugh, and reminiscing about giddy-high-school-crush-feelings! You describe it so perfectly, I feel like I'm there. Thanks for putting yourself on the line for us ;)

AND thanks for your comment, love support! I love having friends nationwide via blogging. Love you.

Mike Steph Brooklyn and Carter said...

That is Hilarious, sounds like you are his #1 fan! I'm proud of you for going by yourself because I know you would of regretted it forever had you not gone. I will pray he wins next week just for you!

jacque said...

What a classic story! Sounds like a very memorable day!

Charlie said...

I get my own mention in your blog (I'll have to make more negative comments more often) ;-)

And, I did stop reading once you mentioned me... although the comments others have put MAY have me give it a second go for laughs :-)

Katie said...

I am Martin Guenther's sister, Katie. I live in Nashville and have been TOTALLY into American Idol this season, and LOVE David Cook!!! I'll be voting like crazy for him this week! LOVED your story....you're so lucky to have seen him and LOVE the close up picture!

Mad Queen said...

Okay, holy cow on the comments... 26, now 27, is that a record? Cool! love this post. I love reading the junior high journal about your crush on David Cook... that made me lol. So funny! David is really musically talented. I don't think he is as HOT as you do, but I love him anyway.

Two more days to see the AMER results!

Mad Queen said...

And another comment to make it 28 comments... I LOVE LOVE LOVE that when your friends backed out, you went anyways... KUDOS! I found myself thinking... where was this girl when I was in college... I would have loved having a spunky, spontaneous roomate. You GO girl!

Mad Queen said...

Comment 29 I love that you made friends there... that is SO you. In fact that is one of my very favorite things about you... you are so happy and friendly... really outgoing... you are SO YELLOW!!! I am glad to have someone yellow in my life...ha!

Mad Queen said...

HURRAY, comment number 30! You did it, you got 30 comments on a blog. You are truly the Blog DIVA.

Okay and SUCKS that your wallet got stolen... no way!!! Stupid people... stealing makes me so mad.

But on a cooler note, I do NOT think it is cheezy that you gave David Cook a high 5, I think it is down to earth and cool! You were star struck, but you kept your cool like an old friend not a drooling teenager. I say you done it right.

Amen sister.

And I LOVE the "stalker" photo... I love that you said it was not cropped, it really was that close... that is just plain awesome.

love you!

Leslie said...

Holy crap!!! What a story! That sounded so awesome .Im so glad you got to do that.So sorry about your wallet. We miss you guys. Are you coming to visit this summer??

Kaylani said...

naYou had me laughing so hard that I had to get Jake to read it and then he was laughing so hard too! he said he could totally picture you on that day. He sympathizes though because he was the exact same way when he went o game 6 of the world series. Total teenager! I would have definately been there with you. I'm so glad he won last night!

Our Family said...

That was great. I liked David Archuleta more but David Cook is awesome too. I am jealous! :D Sorry you lost your wallet though... thats stinks!

Our Family said...

That was great. I liked David Archuleta more but David Cook is awesome too. I am jealous! :D Sorry you lost your wallet though... thats stinks!

Ben and Amberly said...

It looks like you had so much fun. David Cook is by far my favorite American Idol ever. You are so lucky to see him that close up. Fun Stuff.