Sunday, July 1, 2007

Calling all cooks




Brody has enjoyed watching the cooking shows on PBS lately. So today while he was helping me make dinner, I decided we would make our own. This is one of my favorite recipes because it is so easy and really yummy. Here it is for you to try. And yes, it has been “chilly” enough for us to eat chili, ( rain for four days!)

1pound ground meat
2 14 oz cans of diced tomatoes
2 14 oz cans of kidney beans
1 14 oz can whole corn
2 cups frozen veggies (optional)
2 cups any small pasta (optional)
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp chili powder

Seriously this is so easy! Brown the meat and drain any juice. When adding cans just throw everything in, no need to drain. Add tomatoes and cook for 2 mins, then add beans & corn. Cook for 5 mins then add veggies and pasta. Add more water if necessary to cover the pasta. Add spices. Stir and bring to a boil. Then turn down heat and simmer for 45 mins. I like to serve it with corn bread, Enjoy!

8 comments:

Nunes Family said...

Melissa, I found you off of Amberly's blog. I was so exicted to find. Your little boys are soooo cute. Looks like you guys are having a great time. Miss you tons. Matt and I are out in Glendale while he is still in school. Check out our blog.
www.mattandbritani.blogspot.com
Love Britani
I hope its ok to add you to my bloging friends.

Cichelli said...

darling! you are such a good mom to let your boys help. i'm always afraid they'll get burned so i make them play with pots and pans on the floor while i cook.

Mike Steph Brooklyn and Carter said...

Brody is quite the little cook. That will definitely be a bonus when he is looking for a future wife!!!

Alaina said...

I was so hungry all day at work and this looked SO good!

Your boys are darling! Two of them! That's so fun. What are you doing in Kansas? I came to BYU and never left, after a Masters of Social Work I have my dream job counseling teen girls and I'm working part-time while my husband finishes his BSN. He's an RN currently and will be applying to Nurse Practitioner schools in the fall. I'm glad to be in touch!

M + L said...

OH MY GOSH!! How are you doing?!? Your family is adorable! I'm soooo glad you found me. I started my blog about a month ago and I LOVE it because I don't have to email my family pictures anymore. They just go to my site. BYU Hawaii is awesome. I graduate December 2008 in Accounting. Can't wait! Tell Greg I said "hi"! Keep in touch!!!

Alexa said...

Hi Melissa -- it's good to hear from you again! :) What a cute family you have -- like you said, I love how easy it is to keep in touch through blogging! We just passed through Buena Vista yesterday on our way to the coast, but we live in Blacksburg (Virginia Tech). I also want to know what you're doing in KS -- thanks for saying hello! :)

Mandy said...

That was such a cute video! You have got to fill me in on how to do that!!

Brad, Briene and Brayden said...

I love that brody loves to cook. How cute is that. Maybe he can be a chef someday and cook you lots of yummy food and desserts of course. Cute pictures of the boys.