Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A WICKED TRIP




This really was the most WICKED trip I've ever done, and no I'm not being "Utah" here. So I got to Indiana (my bros.house) Thursday evening. Then the next day we piled into our car again and drove another 3.5 hours to Columbus, Ohio. Why, you ask would I choose to do this? Simple because we had AWESOME tickets to see WICKED, witch I am in love with anyway. To make it even cooler our cousins Christeena Michelle Riggs, who is also married to my bros. best friend, was starring in the lead role of Galinda! After the show she took us on a backstage tour and we got to meet the cast. The only bummer was they had to be out of costume for the pics. We then went and hung out at her hotel and got to talk with some cast members a little more. My sister in law Tracey and I decided we are totally WICKED groupies now. it was an amazing night. I can't remember a time as an adult when I have felt so giddy.Emma and I were poka-dot girls
Here is Christeena and I backstage
Coleen Sexton played Elphaba and was amazing. When we got to meet her I felt so silly because I was totally star struck.
Me and my big brother Glenn
Emma, Shailey, Christeena, me and Tracey
When we headed back to the hotel that night we asked the girls what they thought. Shailey said,"I just stayed up till 1 am eating pizza and cake with Galinda, What could be better that that?" Well put.

We only thought it fare to take the boys to the Columbus zoo after being couped up in a hotel room with a babysitter the night before. It was fun, but we were all so tired. The zoo's claim to fame is they have the longest snake in captivity, 31 kids long. Oh, a snake, my favorite! (sarcasm here) Luckily it was a coiled up ,so we didn't have any nightmares. The part I liked best was there was a baby monkey that had been born that morning. It was so cute and orange, who knew they came out orange. If you ask Brody or his cousin Jonas what their favorite animal was they will tell you the train. I think Tate would say the petting zoo. He was so cute with the animals.




No Ostlund trip could be complete with out a little karaoke. I loved that Jonas knew the words to the Greatest American Hero theme song. Brody had fun shaking the tambourine and humming Thomas songs into the mic.




Glenn had to go back to Japan on Monday morning. That was one of the main reasons I came to visit was to spend time with the family before they move to Japan. They leave next month and will live there for THREE YEARS! They will come back to visit at Christmas and in the summers,but just to know they are that far away makes me sad. It is a great opprotunity for Glenn and it will be so cool for his family to exprience. But we will miss them.
We had to make the most of our time together. Back in Indiana we went to the pool, the Library, and shopping, of corse.( I found a totally cute sweater vest from Old Navy for 47 cents!)




Brody was being pouty and didn't want to smile. Showing off our wicked shirts.

It was a really fun trip as you can tell from my super long post. I am so glad to have these memories, but I must say after all that traveling, 5 states in two days, and the boys on crazy schedules, There really is no place like home!

16 comments:

Sarah Sedgwick Anderson said...

Sounds like a fun trip. By the way, the slang phrase "that's wicked" does not originate in Utah, it originates in BOSTON. You would know that if you came to visit...hint hint.

Mike Steph Brooklyn and Carter said...

Cute cute pics Melissa. I had no idea that Glenn and Tracey were movie to Japan, crazy!!! What job is he going there for?
Looks like you had a fun time with the kids, I can't believe how big your nieces are, boy does time fly!

Cichelli said...

I think "wicked" is a boston, or maybe even canada, phrase... definitely not Utah.

I see Wicked every time I got to a different city and love it. How fun that you knew the stars of that show! My poor husband had to listen to me playing/singing nonstop for about five weeks after we saw it the first time... and even Jackson was singing "popular! flirt with boys!" it was hilarious.

welcome home!

Melissa said...

Glenn has been promoted to be the new President of Cook Japan. Cook is his company there in Bloomington. They make medical devices. He has been the go between for the American and Japanese branches. Now he will run the Japan branch. It's really cool.

Brad, Briene and Brayden said...

I am glad you had so much fun. That's awesome that you drove with 2 kids all by yourself. That takes mad skills.The pictures are all so cute. And your dress is so cute! Where do you get it? YOU look great. Talk to you soon.

Mandy said...

Hey Girly, thanks for the complement, you are one gorgeous gal too! Oh and I loved all your pics and videos! I so need to learn how to do all that stuff. You've got your computer whiz husband to teach you all that. My husbands pretty good with computers too, but I forget to ask him to help me. Anyways. We'll miss you and the boys when you leave. But we'll have fun when you get back. OK!

Brooklyn said...

Hey! Thanks for writing me! I am a blog hopper as well! I can't believe you and Danika were so close! I love her. I miss her being in San Fransisco. Her dad and my dad are brothers. Your family is sooo cute! I love the pictures of you in your red beads and polka dot dress. Soooo cute! I'll add you to my blog list!

Melissa said...

Thanks for the sweet comments about my dress. Briene are you playing self esteem builders again? I love it too, I've wanted a cute dress since you told me about Shabby Apple, but I couldn't justify the $$$. I found this dress at TJ Maxx, my new favorite place to shop. It was only $20!

M + L said...

Hey cute girl...looks like you had a fun vacation! I haven't seen Wicked but I want to so bad! You're kids are adorable :) I hope everything is going well and thanks for checkin' out my blog! Have a good day.

Mad Queen said...

Okay, that took so long to figure out how to leave a comment (I am so new to the blogg stuff). LOVE the way you showed off our Wicked trip! It really was an amazing trip. Pictures turned out great... proof we had a blast in our day in the Emerald City! Love you!-Tracey

Nunes Family said...

Looks like you had a great time. I can't belive you drove that far with 2kids. Your one brave sole. I love all your pictures

Jamie & Johnny said...

I just saw Wicked in Chicago this past Sat and I'm so hooked. I've been wanting to see it for years. I'm so jealous you met Ga-linda! That is so cool. You do look amazing and that dress....so cute! Glad you had a good weekend. Now back to normal life, right? Blah!!

Courtney said...

You are so stinkin cute, such a fun mom...and a snazzy dresser, too! When are you coming to Az? That needs to be your next trip...we miss you!

THE WITHERS FAMILY said...

Looks like you guys are having a blast!! I miss you so much and want you to come home soon...when are you coming back?

Mad Queen said...

Hey lady, Look at me, I checked out your blog site again... and I am commenting! Comment, comment, comment. Hey love the new B&W photo additons you added to the site that I took. I love them all... but I love the naked Tate one.. too cute. Thanks for letting me practice taking pictures on your darling kiddos. Love you!

Alaina said...

How exciting! I saw Wicked on Broadway so I totally understand your excitement. Congratulations! I know exactly what you mean about there's no place like home with kids... I'm getting ready for a week long trip with Adrie and partly dreading it. OH well, that's the fun of traveling as a family eh!?

PS you look so THIN in these pics! Gorgeous! And I love the polka dots ;)