Thanks New Balance for the title, It perfectly describes today-
After my last 1/2 marathon in October (click to read about the fun race) I was pumped to do it again. I had some friends who did this race a few years ago so I though it would be a good one to try. They warned me about the HILLS and said what a difficult corse it was, but after the KC 1/2 marathon- I was a pro now right?
Mandy & I picking up our packets and race info the day before the 1/2. We're EXCITED!!! These were the race shirts they gave away. I thought they were awesome and I kept thinking of that phrase as I ran, "I conquered the hill". It kept me going, I had to make it true so I could wear the shirt!
The morning started off a little rough. I was lucky to get a full 6 hours of sleep, much better than last time. (If you read that post, there was no Greg throwing acorns at the window @ midnight!) The only problem was after I set my alarm for 4:40, I turned it right off, thinking it was Greg's I was turning off. I woke up at 5:05 (luckily) and had just enough time to get ready before my ride came at 5:30. I felt rushed and a little stressed, but glad I had everything ready to go. We got to the race an hour before it started. Last time Kirsten and I missed the start of the race because of long bathroom lines. I didn't want that to happen again, so we made sure we had plenty of time. Although now I fell like an hour is too long, too much time to be there and just wait. When we finally did line up we were in the middle of the group. I was getting so claustrophobic ( and I didn't think I was). I kept picturing that sign on Splash Mountain that says something like, "Last chance to turn back here". No matter how much you want to go on the ride that sign always makes me nervous and want to turn back. That's how I felt as we waited to start the race.
This is the elevation chart for the corse, very hilly
Nerves aside, I was feeling fairly confident going into the run. The corse did have a few more hills than the one I did, but parts of it were exactly the same roads. It didn't seem to me that it would be that much harder. I knew it was hotter than October, duh. Kirsten and I started the race with extra clothes on to keep warm, were as with Mandy we were sweating at the starting line. As I just checked the weather it was 78 degrees with 79% humidity and 16 mph winds. Not the best conditions for running, especially hills.
If you run you know that no matter how efficiently you try to train some days you just aren't feeln' it. By mile 3 I could tell it was one of those days. I was already sweating pretty good and my heart rate was way higher than normal. *Side note- I totally LOVE my new heart rate monitor. For anyone who dosen't have one, but likes to run outside, I highly recommend it. I think it really helped me, with training especially but even during the race. I have a foot pod attachment that tells me the mileage and distance that I am doing. It was helpful to know my heart rate so I could bring it down a little to be able to last the whole 13 miles.
Anyway, I kept plugging along. Around mile 6 I really started to have a rough time. I got a tummy cramp that lasted a mile or two, So I turned on my music to get my mind off the pain. It helped and I kept telling myself that I need to make it to mile 10, just to mile 10 and the rest would be a breeze.
I knew I could do this. I was shocked at how difficult this was turning out to be and I was feeling pretty discouraged! I'd done this before, I'd trained. What was going on?!!!
Some how I managed to push through to mile 10. I think again my heart rate monitor helped by telling me my pace. I wasn't really after a time, but on the other hand I knew the faster I could safely push myself the sooner I'd be done. I say safely push myself because there were about 5 ambulances that I saw pass me and I wasn't about to end up in one of those! That doesn't really help the confidence.(I don't think the Hospital is a sponsor by accident.)
The one thing that I am bummed about is that from miles 10-12, I did some walking. Brisk mind you, but I really thought I might pass out. I would walk just enough to re-group and start running again. I probally still ran about 75% of those two miles. My body just couldn't do it anymore... but I knew I was SO close!
I know it sounds lame, but I was thinking about this post and what I would write as I was running. I knew I couldn't say, "It was hard and it sucked so I stopped." So thank you friends who read my blog, you (along with my pride) helped me when it was really really hard!
Once I got to mile 12 I knew the end was just around the corner. I ran the last mile and had just enough in me to finish. There was no sprinting to the finish line like last time, but I did have some great cheerleaders. :) I saw Brody and Greg about 100 yards from the end. I was so happy to see them. Brody came and gave me a big hug and we ran together across the finish line.
I was done!!! It was finally OVER!!! And I was still alive!
Even with all the trouble I had I still managed a 2:29. Not bad considering I wondered if I'd even finish!
Next time I'll pick a flat corse and go for time, not just survival!
**I must say that I am pleasantly surprised by my recovery. I walked a lot after and stretched a ton too. I really don't feel all that sore. Last time I remember I could hardly walk downstairs with out pain and today my knees don't even hurt! I guess experience dose count for something. Plus, I've been taking joint supplements. Just thought I'd end with something that is really happy about the day. Now that I'm not running uphill anymore, I actually feel great. :)
I wanted to say how proud I am of Mandy. She joined me on a whim and only trained a month for this race. I know she struggled too, but I am SO impressed with how well she did and what a major accomplishment it is to even finish!!
Great job Mandy! Thanks for being there for our fun training runs and the challenging event itself. It wouldn't have been the same with out you!
We DID IT!!!!














26 comments:
Good for you! I know I would have died!! That is amazing! I'm glad your blog inspired you :)
Melissa ... Great Job!!!! WOW that is just awesome. I cannot wait to do another one but like you I will pick a flat one! That is awesome that you finished!!!
Congratulations! I know what an accomplishment that is! I also walked at mile 8 or so, and picked it up again...but it kicked my butt.
I am soooo PROUD of YOU!! That just sounds gruesome... and look at how well you handled such a difficult situation-- ! I"m really thankful too that you're feeling so good..
You're my HERO ; )
Love,
Mom
I just talked with a friend of mine who is a seasoned Marathon Runner. She said she had a difficult time too. About mile 4 she was struggling and she almost quit because the conditions were so bad. She has done this very same race in past years and thought this was the worst by far. That makes me feel better to know it wasn't just me.
Nice Job! You are my hero. I am now reminded why I need to start running again, because you feel so good once it's done! Glad to hear that you are feeling good after and not too sore. Keep up the good work!
Great job, Melissa (and Mandy too)! Thanks for sharing the experience. Reading it makes me excited to have this baby and (albeit gradually) get back into running again. Considering the conditions (78 degrees, 70% humidity, all the hills), you had plenty of good excuses to give up but you pushed past that and did it! You're my hero. :)
that is so awesome that you are running! congrats on finishing your SECOND half marathon. before you know it you'll be running fulls :) way to stick with it and finish.
Your comment almost made me cry. :) Thanks girly! I love your graph of the hills on our race! I need that to show my DAD what it was like! And again it was a PLEASURE to run with ya! You did AWESOME TOO! And yes, you can Con me into another race! :P (Just no hills PLEASE!) HA HA!
WAY TO GO GIRL!!! I hate running, but the LOVE the way I feel after I've done it. I've never thought about running a marathon and don't plan too, BUT I'm very very proud of you! Way to stay in shape, I'm impressed!!
You are amazing! I've been training for the Baltimore half in Octover and really wanting to just give up. What training schedule do you use?
Congratulaions you did it that is awesome. Hills are so much harder to run but you didn't give up. You are looking great.
Good job on the run! That is awesome :) Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. You are a sweetheart! I added you as a friend to my blog. You look beautiful in all of your pics and you have a gorgeous family!
Congrats! I had no idea you were running another one. I'm totally impressed.
I am so proud of you! You are my hero! You've been doing to well with running and going to the gym and it has all paid off. You look amazing! Great job girly!
Congrats on the marathon!! You are awesome! I tried to run a couple miles at girl's camp last week and it was very hilly and humid--it was so hard!!! I had to stop 3 times! I hadn't run in a while, but that was so bad. Keep it up--you look great! And it was good to see you at the Anderson's the other day, bloggin' buddy!
You are freakin amazing!! WOW that was awesome. Im so happy for you. I love working towards something and accomplishing it!! No thanks on all the hills!!
good for you, you are amazing. that is such an accomplishment!
Melissa you are awesome!! Congrats on finishing the race. You inspire me.
OMG!! Good for you girl! I've always wanted to run a race like that but I was always nervous I wouldn't finish, so you've given me hope! thanks and congrats!
WOW! I am so impressed! Reading your post kind of got my mind thinking about running, but that quickly went away :) Congrats!
Wow! I am totally impressed! Good job Melissa!
Girl you are my idol, I can't believe you ran a half marathon with hills, that is just crazy, way to go, I can't even begin to imagine the sense of accomplishment you must feel when crossing that line, you ROCK!
Good for you, I am sooo proud!!
WOW, that's awesome. You do look great, by the way! You and that cute little figure. Mandy and you have pretty smiles. We need to have a girls night out.....soon!!! Hope you're having a fun summer. :)
WOW!! That's amazing! I've always wanted to run a marathon, but I don't have the drive to get up that early! I'm NOT a morning person. But you look so FABULOUS, I think you'll be my motivation! I forget how much running does make you feel good, and gives you energy. I need that! ha ha Good job not quitting! Now you can say you're done and you DID IT!!
Post a Comment